One question to ask yourself before you get started on your landscape design ideas is should you do it yourself or hire a landscape architect. Do it yourself since your landscape design ideas are unique and no one knows your yard and your ideas better than you do.
A great idea is to plan your landscape design ideas down on paper, one for the front yard and one for your back yard. You can go so far as to pick colors that you think would enhance your surroundings and offset the house.
Some points you may want to consider in your landscape design ideas:
1. Age and hobbies of your family.
2. What makes your family happy?
3. Who will be in charge of maintaining the landscape?
4. Do you need a landscape irrigation system?
5. Consider different types of landscape lighting.
An item that you might find interesting is the “curb appeal” is very important. It is your home’s landscape that provides the first impression. Do you realize that “curb appeal” can boost the sales price of your home by up to 15%?
Your lawn is the most important part of your landscape. It needs to be mowed often so it will grow thicker and always mow with sharp blades and do not cut more than 1/3 of the grass height. You should always water 1 – 1-1/2 inch per week dependent on rainfall.
Common landscaping tools to take into consideration during your landscape design ideas phase are:
4. Pruners and shears
6. Lawnmower and gas
Be sure to keep these items well maintained, together and easily accessible in a shed or garage.
Work into your design basic guidelines such as:
1. A backyard should be a retreat. Plant trees and easy to care for plants. Did you know that trees can cut down on air conditioning costs?
2. Think of adding a deck or remodeling the one you have. It is a great way to entertain or unwind.
3. Consider all drainage issues.
4. In your front yard consider parking and turn around as well as the focal point of your home – the front door.
5. A privacy fence is great for children and pets.
6. Consider a play area for children.
7. Decide on outdoor landscape lighting to provide atmosphere at night and this adds to the security of your home.
8. Consider building a pond. Be sure to look and research thoroughly before beginning.
Some pitfalls that do it yourselfers make are:
1. Failure to have design in place.
2. Every one else does it.
3. Failure to irrigate.
4. If you are on a hillside, plan for planting prone to erosion.
5. Failure to work with what you have.
6. Tools that are not easily found, never handy and not in shape.
As you begin to plan your landscape design ideas, this article will hopefully help you with ideas and what mistakes to avoid. Please remember this project of putting your ideas into practice is a time to treasure and enjoy.